Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mini Mexican Style Meatloaf

From the Kitchen of Veggie Vixen

I LOVE Mexican food so of course I had to create some kind of Mexican inspired meatloaf. I usually try to mix up my meatloaf at least a day in advance to let all the flavors blend together but it is still good if mixed up right before you pop it in the oven.


Mini Mexican Style Meatloaf topped with medium cheddar cheese, Fajita Style Roasted Cauliflower & Mexican Style Squash.

Mini Mexican Style Meatloaf

1lb lean ground beef
2 eggs
1/4C almond flour
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2T Frank's Red Hot
1t chili powder
1/2t cumin
1/2t salt
1/2t fresh ground pepper
1/2c Herdez Salsa (I use medium or hot but it's up to you)
your favorite cheese - optional

  1. Whisk eggs then add in Frank's Red Hot, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, fresh ground pepper, and Herdez Salsa. Mix well then add almond flour.
  2. Add lean ground beef to your mixture and use your hands to mix it all up well without overworking the meat mixture. Let sit in a well sealed container overnight to let flavors blend.
  3. Using your hands form 8oz mini loaves and arrange them on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet.
  4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
  5. Optional: during the last 10 minutes of baking I like to top my mini Mexican meatloaves with 1-2oz of cheese! Colby-jack or cheddar are my favorites.
I weight out my mini loaves to about 8oz each.

Since most ground beef packages are usually over one pound I tend to get 3 mini loaves from one package of ground beef. Each weighs just over 8oz.

Badia Fajita Seasoning, Frank's Red Hot & Herdez Hot Salsa. All three products have no additives - this includes no added sugar which is common in commercial fajita seasoning blends and salsas.

Below are my favorite side dishes to serve with my Mini Mexican Meat Loaves.

Fajita Style Roasted Cauliflower Florets
Toss one head of cauliflower, separated into florets, in 2-3T Badia Fajita seasoning mix and olive oil. Lay florets in an even layer on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes, or until tender, in a 400 degree oven.

One medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets. I put them into a gallon size zip bag so they would be easy to coat with oil and seasonings.

Add enough olive oil to coat all of the florets well.

Sprinkle in 2-3T Badia Fajita seasoning, seal the bag and shake it well so that all florets are evenly coated. Make sure the fajita seasoning doesn't clump up on any of the florets or it may be unpleasant.

For even roasting, florets will need to be spread out in a single layer.
 
Mexican Style Squash
Sauté diced or sliced zucchini and yellow squash in a non stick skillet with a little olive oil. When squash begins to brown and become soft season with 1-2T Badia Fajita seasoning mix and about 1/2C Herdez Salsa. Continue to sauté until squash is tender and most of the liquid has cooked out of the pan.


By cutting all of my squash at one time with my kitchen mandolin I'll have plenty for lunches and dinners later in the week - time saver!

This squash will store in my fridge for a week or more.
  

Cook the zucchini and squash mixture until the veggies are nice and tender.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cave Girls

Cave Girls
Veggie Vixen & Baking Beauty